Saturday 4 June 2011

Yahoo! infultrated my favicon, how can I fix this?

Today I successfully designed and uploaded my new favicon. It worked beautifully all day on Firefox, Explorer, and Opera. Then at some point tonight Yahoo! somehow changed the favicon to a Y! symbol and no matter how many times I delete and try to reupload, it won%26#039;t change back. Is there anything I can do?|||Hi, I just noticed this on my site too. I deleted yahoo%26#039;s favicon which is the defaut favicon.ico in your root directory. I uploaded my favicon.ico file to another directory in my site called %26quot;images%26quot; and in the head tags of of my store I placed the following:





%26lt;link rel=%26quot;shortcut icon%26quot; href=%26quot;http://YOURDOMAIN.com/images/favic鈥?%26lt;!-- old tag --%26gt;


%26lt;link rel=%26quot;icon%26quot; type=%26quot;image/ico%26quot; href=%26quot;http://YOURDOMAIN.com/images/favic鈥?%26lt;!-- new tag --%26gt;





I put that code at the top of all of my regular html pages too


and it works everywhere.





Hope this helps :)





Bex|||Hi,





Had same thing happening - changed the name of my favicon from favicon.ico to anandaapothecary.ico (our web address) and called it in the html header. Perhaps Yahoo%26#039;s favicon is also called favicon.ico...anyway, back to our good ol%26#039; custom favicon - though I think I might have to change the link rel=%26quot;shortcut icon%26quot; on every page of the site...not sure yet.





Cheers,


Eric|||I was very disappointed to discover the same thing happened to my site today. I think it is very out of line and inappropriate for Yahoo to override files of people using Yahoo hosting.





That said, simply re-upload your favicon image and name it something other than favicon.ico. It seems that Yahoo is only replacing your image with theirs on files specifically named favicon.ico. Rename the file to myfav.ico and redirect the shortcut icon in your header to the new filename.|||Yahoo has done this to me too....I%26#039;m outraged. I pay for the server space and didn%26#039;t give Yahoo permission to change my files. I have over 7000 webpages and don%26#039;t want to edit them to get rid of the stupid Yahoo favicon. They really screwed up this time.|||WOW, that really made me mad and took a long time to fix. A very cheap move by Yahoo.





Thank you for the answers on how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment